HOMEMADE PRETZEL ROLLS - Munira B
- 420ml Warm Water
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 4 1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Powdered Milk
- 2 tsp Instant Yeast
- For the Water Bath:
- 2L Water
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Baking Soda
- For Finishing:
- 1 Egg White, lightly beaten (for brushing)
- Coarse Sea Salt, (for topping)
- Combine all ingredients for the dough in the bowl of a standing mixer. Using the dough hook, knead on low speed until a smooth, cohesive dough is formed. Allow the dough to rise in a lightly greased bowl, covered, for about 1 hour, until doubled.
- Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface. Divide the dough into 8 pieces and shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place the balls on a lightly greased baking sheet, cover, and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Prepare the water bath by bringing the water, salt, and sugar to a boil in a large pot. Add baking soda gently as it will bubble up.
- Drop 4 dough balls at a time into the water bath. Cook for 30 seconds, flip over, and cook for 30 seconds longer. Using a slotted spoon, return the buns to the baking sheet. The dough will seem wrinkly at this stage.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1/2″ deep slits into the center of each bun. Brush the top of the buns with the beaten egg whites, then sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake the buns for 25 minutes, or until they’re a deep-dark brown. Remove them from the oven, and transfer to a rack to cool.