RED VELVET CAKE/CUPCAKES - by Munira B
- 60g Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 10g Cocoa Powder
- 20ml Red Food Colouring
- ½ tsp Vanilla Exract
- 120ml Buttermilk
- 150g Plain Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1½ tsp White Vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C
- In a bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, place the butter and the sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy and well mixed.
- Turn the mixer up to high speed, slowly add the egg and beat until everything is well incorporated. Add red food colouring and vanilla extract until everthing is smooth.
- Turn the mixer down to slow speed and slowly alternate flour and buttermilk in 2 additions. Once everything is fully combined, in a small bowl, combine vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and pour it immediately as it sizzles into the batter. Mix it in quickly until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into greased tins and bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cake to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
CRUSTING CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 113g Unsalted Butter
- 97g Crisco (Shortening)
- 250g Cream Cheese
- 800g Icing Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Lemon Extract (optional)
- Cream softened butter and Crisco until smooth.
- Add softened cream cheese and beat till fully incorporated.
- Add extracts and salt.
- Then slowly add icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- I prefer to use a whisk attachment for this. I will whip till it's fluffy and a little airy. It makes a lighter frosting. But be sure that it doesn't have too much air in it. Otherwise, your piping won't turn out so smooth.