Creme Brulee and cheesecake in one!- Arizza Kristha Tuazon
CRÈME BRULEE CHEESECAKE
For the Sponge Cake Base:
- 1/2 cupcake flour
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted butter
- 3 large egg yolks, reserve egg whites
- Place the above in a mixing bowlBeat until well combined (the mixture should be a stiff paste)
- In a separate bowl, beat the reserved 3 egg whites and 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar until frothy.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar gradually, beating until it forms a stiff and glossy meringue.
- Fold the meringue into the batter until combined. Do not overmix!
- Spoon the batter into a 9 in round cake pan.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cake has risen and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 5. Remove the cake from the oven, and immediately loosen the edges.
- Allow it to cool in the pan.
For the Cheesecake Filling:
- 3 8-oz. packages cream cheese, at room temperature 8 oz. mascarpone
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 and 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 1 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- In a stand mixer (use paddle attachment) beat the cream cheese, mascarpone, flour, plus a pinch of salt on medium speed until very smooth and fluffy.
- Add the caster sugar and beat until well blended and smooth.
- Add the vanilla and beat until just blended.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating just until blended. (Don’t overbeat)
- In a 9-in spring-form pan, place the sponge cake base at the bottom. Pour the filling into the pan and smooth the top.
- Wrap the spring-form pan in foil and bake in a water bath.
- Bake at 150°C for 50-60 minutes until the center jiggles but sides are done.
- Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake inside for 1 hour with door slightly ajar.
- After 1 hour, place on rack to cool completely. Cover tightly with cling wrap and aluminum foil and refrigerate until chilled, preferably overnight.
- Once chilled, remove cheesecake from spring form pan.
- Sprinkle around 2-3 Tbsp. Caster sugar over the top of the cheesecake and slowly heat the top with a kitchen torch until sugar is melted and caramelised.