|Plain Rock Buns for my picky prince..|
Rock Buns.. A family fav always.. Something i learned many many many years ago in Sec 1..
- 200g Self Raising Flour
- 100g salted butter (cold - cubed)
- 100g sugar (I like to use coarse sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence (I use vanilla paste)
- 1 tbsp milk/honey/water
- Dried fruit (cut into small pieces)
- Preheat oven to 180°C & line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Rub in cubed butter into sifted flour & salt until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. (I normally cut the butter with a butterknife in the bowl of sifted flour, to minimise contact with our hands, use fingertips to rub in butter)
- Add sugar & mix with "breadcrumbs".
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg , milk with the vanilla ess/paste.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until the mixture just comes together as a thick, lumpy dough.
- Separate dough if you want to have some plain & some with dried fruits.
- Use 2 fork to scoop mixture (abt 1" diameter) onto baking tray. (Impt : Do not press mixture together tightly, pile mixture lightly together to form a ball, as long mixture stick together.) Leave space inbetween as it will flatten a bit during baking.
- Sprinkle some coarse raw sugar on top if you like a little crunch.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden-brown. Remove from the oven to cool.