Kimchi 배추김치 - by Fiona Lau
- 1.5 - 2kg of Napa cabbage
- 1/3 cup of coarse sea salt
- 2 cups Cold water
- 150g of radish, peeled and cut into 2inch matchsticks
- 150g of carrot,peeled and cut into 2 inch matchsticks
For Kimchi Paste
- 1x Pear
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and cut into small piece
- 2 big onion peeled and cut into small piece
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into small piece
- 1/2 cup of fish sauce
- 1/2 cup of salted Cincalok
- 1 tablespoon of Anchovy Powder (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 cups of red chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon of Gochujang (Korea hot pepper paste)
- 3 Tbs. any preserve Jam
- 50g of chives, cut into 2 inch matchsticks
- 4 Tbsp. Toasted sesame seeds
- Cut Napa Cabbage into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the salt and set aside for about 40 mins to release water.
- Drain the Napa cabbage, and rinse with cold water to remove excess salt. 3 time
- Squeeze out the excess water, set aside
- In a blender, combine apple, pear, garlic, onion and ginger, preserve Jam whirl until it smooth (Puree).
- Pour the puree into the big bowl and combine in the fish sauce, salted Cincalok , Anchovy Powder, sugar, Gochujang, and red chili pepper flakes, mix till become pasty.
- Next is combine in the radish, carrot and chives till until evenly combined.
- Spice mixture is ready to use.
- Combine the Napa cabbage and the spice mixture bit by bit till finish.
- Make sure the Napa cabbage are well combined and coated with spice mixture.
- keep refrigerator to continue fermentation or you can just eat immediate I prefer too cos is sweet and chruncy
- Yummylicious Kimchi is ready to serve.
- Well fermented Kimchi can keep for 2 month in refrigerator.